20/02/2011: Three Horrible February Weeks – Rants and Experiments from a Mire of Misery

Week Ending 13/02/2011:

Back toward the start of this week we had our “table top review” and were put into randomly selected groups of 4 to talk about our current work. Listening to people I don’t know very well’s shit ideas and then their conversational digressions into righteous hippy ramblings about the homeless and the law isn’t my idea of time well spent; nothing was gained.

In the morning of the same day I attended the Whitworth talk where we had this MA Tutor from Goldsmiths show us through various things he’d worked on. After a stiflingly boring introduction it picked up and I became more interested in him but his attitude toward the end of not caring about other people’s experiences in relation to either his art or his teaching put me off a little. At least he was honest. Another thing I can’t help but mention: at one point he told us about a project where he and his group had hung razor wire across a high street somewhere, at lamp level like Christmas bunting or something. I think it was Northern Europe but I can’t remember. And the story finished with him being told “you’ll never work in this city again” accompanied by twattish laughs from the audience. Shit isn’t it. Boring concept, boring visually, lazy - nobody even got hurt. People in these circles are too easily impressed I swear.

I spent the rest of week messing with the TC 280 for the most part. More tape loops and fiddling with the delay, which I downloaded the manual for and found that: A. You can get it to work in Stereo (sort of) by using both outputs (one speaker gets the original noise and the other the delay echo) and B. That using the Hold function you can take small samples and distort them as they loop, by twisting the duration knob to make the sample repeat faster or slower. I’ve also realised that by changing speeds on the TC 280 you can record things at different rates. Having the recorder on the fast setting while recording gives you a slowed down recording when played in the standard mode, and vice versa with the slow setting.

Christian and Mont and I have spent several evenings with the DD3 now using it with an AV Store Rode Mic to create feedback sounds with the stereo and shouting stupid things into it to hear them reverberate. Which has been fun though not particularly productive.

I’ve been quite frustrated with regard to getting on with some proper sound work. Having a list of particular tracks I admire/aspire to could be seen as a good thing but seems more of a hindrance at present. As there is a reasonable mix of styles between the tracks I’m looking at (sound-scapes/mood pieces, collage, loops, rustic pop) I’m finding it hard to decide which direction to take. Tracks are as follows:

Boyd Rice and Frank Tovey - Extraction 3 (1984)
Cabaret Voltaire - Doraseal/Partially Submerged (1978/1980)
Mr. and Mrs. No Smoking Sign - Come Home And Have Your Tea (1979)
Nurse With Wound - Ooh Baby (Coo Coo)/Fashioned To a Device Behind a Tree/Rockette Morton (Pt 1/2)/Steel Dream March Of The Metal Men (1983 x2/1990/1992)
Severed Heads - All Rights Reserved/Hawaii Torso 97 Cigarettes (1979 x2)
Throbbing Gristle – Exotica (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment