15/03/2011: Snippets From Brideshead

“Supposing the Pope looked up and saw a cloud, and said it's going to rain - would that be bound to happen?”
“Oh yes Father”
“Yes but supposing it didn't. Supposing there was no rain...”
- - -
“I suppose it'd be sort of raining spiritually, only we were to sinful to see it?”

“Throughout our married life, again and again I'd felt my bowels shrivel with envy at the things she said. But today in this gallery I heard her unmoved and suddenly realized that she was powerless to hurt me anymore. I was a free man. She had given me my manumission in that brief, sly lapse of hers - my cuckold's horns made me lord of the forest”

“I had not forgotten Sebastian; he was with me daily in Julia. Or perhaps it was Julia I had known in him in those distant arcadian days. Every stone in the house had a memory of him, and hearing him spoken of by Cordelia as someone she had seen a month ago, my lost friend filled my thoughts”


No comments:

Post a Comment