03/10/2010: Shelter

The first project of the second year – Shelter – has been set this week. During the first year I didn’t really work to the project titles at all and that worked out fine as obviously I was still doing work, but as I have only a rough idea of the kind of work I want to be working on for the next few weeks I have decided to take the project title into consideration and work against the idea of Shelter as this feels appropriate for me at present. The collage and film work I made over the summer felt like closure to the direction taken in the first year – I had no further desire to continue making sexually based collages, I decided to hastily wrap up my sci-fi/masturbation film project – as progress had happened too slowly over six months or so – in the form of about two minutes of Super 8 footage of me in costume gyrating in my living room, and I had (and have at present) no further ideas as such for any other video projects.

As it is then my intention is to return to drawing, or mark making, to begin the year afresh using my hands as opposed to technology, which I relied on predominantly in some form or other throughout the first year in video, sound and even collage (as this of course uses printed photographs). I also have a sense of guilt with regard to drawing as it is often considered a fundamental skill yet I tend to shy away from it whenever I can: this is the shelter – shelter from drawing (or any other unfamiliar/lesser practiced medium) – I want to remove myself from, in order I hope, to further extend the spectrum of my creative ability and confidence.

The last collage made during summertime – Where Red Is The Colour Of The Multipla Dream. Made as a gift for Monty’s 30th in August:

No comments:

Post a Comment