06/03/2011: Film Week

Watching Lawrence Of Arabia last Sunday threw me back into a filmy mood after quite a substantial dry patch. At least one a day, not unhealthy:

Sun 27th – Lawrence Of Arabia --- Excellent; proper FILM
Mon 28th – Downfall and Lassie Come Home --- Boring/Rubbish (better than Downfall though)
Tue 1st – If… --- Fantastic; energizing and sensual
Wed 2nd – Mon Oncle and Cat People (1942) --- “Whimsical” – Mont, Amazing Colours esp./Rubbish
Thu 3rd – Cul-De-Sac --- One of the best films I’ve ever seen – perfect
Fri 4th – Grey Gardens and Mon Oncle (Post-Lynch…) --- Endearing and fun, both truly charming
Sat 5th – Caligula --- !

Couple of noted quotes:

If…:

The sexually repressed, somewhat alluring matron, Mrs. Kemp, sits with the boys at dinner. Quietly, placidly, nervously, sadly (?) she declines to all but the glass of water. Malcolm McDowell referring to the ketchup as “this” tickles me somewhat.

“Water Mrs. Kemp?
Lovely day Mrs. Kemp...”

“Salt Mrs Kemp?
Spring Greens Mrs Kemp?”

“Dead man's leg today Mrs Kemp.
Do you need this Mrs Kemp?”


Cat People:

Bullshit 40s B-movie I rented thinking it was the 80s remake with McDowell and Nastassia Kinski. Awful acting and boring story. I did like this monologue, delivered dreadfully from an old lady who ran a pet shop, that was about it. Landy deary me.

“Animals are ever so psychic, there are some people who just can't come in here - my dear brother's wife for instance, she's a very nice girl, I have nothing against her, but you just should see what happens when she puts her foot inside this place. The cats particularly, they seem to know, you can fool everybody but landy deary me you can't fool a cat. They seem to know who's not right, if you know what I mean...”

Cul-De-Sac:

“THAT FROGGY BITCH PULLED MY EAR OFF!”


No comments:

Post a Comment